Sunday, August 22, 2010

Finishing and tidying.

In the corner of my lounge room there is a chair that never gets sat in. It is one of those chairs where things get piled, not necessarily untidily but certainly not in a way that could be dscribed with the rhyme 'a place for everything, and everything in its place'.

So this weekend, with the upcoming move as the incentive again I put the finishing touches on the three quilts that had been sitting there. Two needed the binding sewn to the back and labels and the third needed only the label.

It got me thinking about a question that is often asked of quilters in interviews 'what is your favorite part of the quilting process' and I think I would have to say it is the designing and piecing followed by the quilting. The least favorite? Sewing the binding and making the quilt sandwich.

I think it has something to do with the fact those stages don't change the 'look' of the quilt so much, where as in completing the other stages, you can see something come together before your eyes.

Quilt 1: Luv U Pinwheels
This was made with one charm pack and some scraps I had from an earlier project. It was the first quilt I designed completely myself and I love the way the perle cotton hand quilting works with it.





Quilt 2: X Block Kaleidoscope
I made this quilt top in April using the
X Block template I bought at the Craft Expo at Homebush in March. I made this whole quilt top using only one layer cake and a tiny bit of extra solid. The back is solid (I thought there was enough colour on the top) and the quilting around the X's makes a X and windmill pattern on the back.





Quilt 3: Carnival Critters
I also made this one in April I think, using my first Etsy fabric purchase from Lucky Kaeru
It has a pieced back and circular free motion quilting.




There are in my MadeIt shop.

No comments: