Monday, July 30, 2012

...down the plughole

Yes, it is the middle of winter in Australia, and yes, it is actually cold. So cold, in fact that N is taking an impromptu ski trip tomorrow and expects snow to fall while he is there.

So I made a beach blanket. Of course.

I used a pattern called Down the Rabbit Hole still in the production phase from Angela at Cut to Pieces. I found it again when looking for some quilty inspiration for a baby gift having first seen it posted last year during the Blogger's Quilt Festival. I don't think this pattern will end up in that gift but I do love it generally. It is a great larger small quilt - perfect for beach days and picnics. Plus I think it is a cool shape.


I used three Spotlight Prima Solids, in Peacock, Marine and Aqua - like waves! The binding is another Spotlight Prima solid in, appropriately named, Sand.


I thought long and hard about what to put in the middle of the quilt - in the end I went with these bikes, with the blue one almost exactly matching the Peacock solid. If I had planned a little better I would have included a picture of the quilt rolled up on the basket of my bike!


As Angela suggested in the pattern I quilted with lines parallel to the outermost edge of the triangles. The only modification I made was to quilt lines 1" apart at the middle, 1.5" apart in the middle section and 2" in the outer ring - like ripples on the water.


I'm calling my version 'Down the Plughole'!

3 comments:

bec said...

Love it! And love it was with Spotty fabrics, instead of ANOTHER expensive designer fabric haha. You've made it look designer though! Great idea for a rug, I'll add it to my list haha

Fran said...

Absolutely lovely! Love the wave effect of the different blues. Nice to see something so original.

Angela said...

yay! It looks great. I can't wait to get the pattern up and running. Thanks for your help reviewing it!