Some time as I was stitching the design for last month I decided that it would be a really cool idea to photograph the designs when they were finished each month with an actual dessert that was depicted in the design.
So last month N got a Champagne truffle to eat after a photography session but this time I decided that I would male the Red Velvet cupcakes. This seemed to be a great idea, and timely too because I could take said cakes to work the day after to share at our team meeting.
But despite sitting and stitching the design over several hours when it came to making the cakes I remembered them as being Red Velvet cakes in brown wrappers with white icing. Clearly they are in fact indeterminable cakes in red and pink wrappers with chocolate icing and sprinkles. 'No worries', I thought as I made the cakes, 'what's wrong with a bit of artistic licence'. I must have still been working that out as I measured out the milk and added it to the batter, because I ended up with twice what I should have added and a cake batter the consignment of crepe mix. Not at all what I was after. I briefly considered doubling everything else and making the extra 12 cupcakes but honestly I couldn't be bothered and I didn't want them to go to waste, which they inevitably would.
So I poured it into the wrappers, put them in the oven and hoped of the best. They set, that is about all I can say for them. I didn't take them to work. I'm a bit scared to try one. I won't ice them, with white, chocolate or otherwise frosting. There won't be sprinkles.
But I will picture them with the stitchery - to remind me not to bake late at night when I'm tired.