Sunday, February 12, 2012

...bag making

I first made this bag, the large slouch from Nicole Mallalieu Designs, about a year ago in the first round of the Goodie Bag Swap.

At the time I bought a little extra fabric to ensure I could cut both outer panels in such a way that the bird prints could run horizontal with the birds facing upwards. I thought that I had enough lest from the larger cut to make one for myself as well. So, with the fabric set aside for the lining I put the pattern, fabric and zips away and forgot about it.

This morning I had the sudden urge to make it. But try as I might I could not work out how I thought I was to cut the outer panels and orient the birds the same way. In the end I opted for the vertical arrangement that I think I have come to like better anyway.

On the inside I chose to go with both the zip pocket and open pocket options and I added a small slim pocket fussy cut from the leftover Echino fabric.

I changed little from the pattern. I finished the pleats at the bottom of the pocket to allow this to be the full depth of the bag and I didn't segment it.

I did add some tacking stitches in a couple of places just at the top hem to keep the bag from gaping the whole time.

The third time I make the pattern up (and I am sure there will be such a time) I will get both zips a little longer than the directs indicate - both end up a little short and mean that there is a small gap to the seam.

All in all I'm pretty happy with it - but like the last one - this is going to a new home. It is destined to fulfil duty as a baby bag, big enough for the essentials but not so big it weights everyone down.

No comments: