Thursday, November 3, 2011

...WiP Wednesday



This Week
Curclicue Crush Quilt
All cut! This was no mean feat...I'm not sure at this point how many pieces there are in this quilt but rest assured by the time it is done they will be counted and I will tell you....likely many times. The next step for this one is to finalise the colour and pront placement before I start pinning ans sewing the curved units. This is one of those times I wish I  had a huge design wall but pencil and paper will have to do!

do. Good Stitches Animal Quilt
Quilting and binding completed this week. A post on this quilt will follow. For now I am arranging delivery to Needy Stitches.


Pinning
I also spent a huge amont of time adding a lot of my items starred in Google Reader to my Pinterest boards. I am already finding a lot of things I had forgotten about and finidng the remembered ones so much easier!

Classes at the Craft and Sewing Show
On Saturday I went to the Craft and Sewing Show at the Caulfied Racecoursee in Melbourne. I didn't find as much there to interst me as I thought but I had already predermined that there were three classes I wanted to take.

The first I attended was to make this little pouch with a snap closure with Patchwork Mariko Japan. Because It was only and hour long class and all the seams were hand sewn at the venue I didn't get a change to sew the last two seams and insert the closure. I am intending to finish it soon and make a couple more, one from their pattern and one using this tutorial from Ayumi.

I also went to a class held by Bernina using their overlockers - I have one and was hoping to learn a little more about the features so I can do more on it than just sew up garment seams. That was limited but I made this little quilted placemat roll. There were a lot of exposed seams and quick finishing that I don't love but i have already adapted the design a little and made one for N. I have a tutorial hald written up so that should be coming your way soon hopefully!
My last class of the day was one on EPP with Blue Willow Cottage, since I have started a couple of quilts recently using this technique I thought a lesson wouldn't go astray. But I have to say I didn't enjoy this one for a number of different reasons and I don't really feel like I came away with any new skills or techniques. It was a pretty disappointing end to the day but that is sometimes the way life goes!

Amitie - The Circle Game BOM
I have four packages (with directions and fabric for 6/16 blocks) so I thought I had better make a start. I'm not scared of curves so I just traced the template, added the seam allowance and cut. You can see from the completed circle this did not result in a perfect block. For attempt 2 I ironed on some freezer and then pinned and sewed where the paper finished but the stiffness meant a lot of movement and that didn't work well either. In the end I traced the seing line, pinned and sewed slowly. That seems to have worked. I need to finish the other units and that will be the final test.


In the tubs Whimsy Hexie Quilt
Curclicue Crush Quilt - All cut out and ready to sew
Blue and White Quilt
Grey Tone Kaleidoscope
Postage Stamp QA Quilt
X Marks the Pirate Quilt
Farmers Wife QA
BSPDU Quilt - Just waiting on a backing!

New projects (started anything new?)
12 Days of Christmas Sampler
The Circle Game - Amite BOM quilt
Finished this week
PJ pants for N

No comments: