Thursday, October 21, 2010

do. Good Stitches {a Charity Bee} - October Pinwheel blocks

The two blocks for this month was the second started and completed project in the new sewing room.

These blocks are going towards a quilt to be made for a young boy who has a serious medical condition.

Alicia from Beauty in the Deatils requested blocks in teal/lime-kiwi and orange and yellow combinations.

It was a request I was more than happy to fulfil and seemed a great challenge for my novelty stash and as the blocks were reasonably easy to construct I was happy enough to start them about 10:30pm.

Aside: I seem to spend a heap of time and money shopping for novelty fabric, particularly fabric that would appeal to boys. I know that there is the pervasive opinion that most fabric and craft projects are girl target but I seem to end up buying and completing in an opposite trend. I'm a fan of the underdog so perhaps it is my unconscious way of evening the playing field.  

The first block was the hardest in terms of fabric choices, the colours are so varied when described that way, and even although Alicia had given some direction and examples in terms of what she meant I am still a little nervous and hope I have chosen the right colours. This black makes use of some Kona Solid and Amy Bultler from the Love range.

The second is my favourite, I think. Again it uses a Kona Solid but I was so excited to be able to use the Linework Rockets in orange from the Robots collection by David Walker.

They are winging their way to Alicia now.

No comments: