Tuesday, April 3, 2012

...hot apple buns

I love hot cross buns - without the cross part and the dried fruit. And as we come up towards Easter I have wondered what it is about them that I like. I am sure it is the spices in the bread and the sticky glaze on the top.

So this last weekend I make a version of the buns with fruit that I like, fresh rather than dried apple. I made my dough in the bread maker and then shaped the buns, let them rise again and baked them in the oven. They were great - and disappeared very quickly!

Hot Apple Buns
6g dry yeast
475g bread flour (plain flour is OK too)
25g gluten flour
24g powdered milk
34g sugar
8g salt
2tsp cinnamon
2tsp mixed spice
1-2 cups apple* peeled, cored and chopped into small chunks (you'll need 1-2 apples)
45g butter
350ml water
1 cup flour extra, for kneading
* Granny Smith or other green baking apples are best
Glaze
1 tsp gelatine
2 tbs Water
1 tbs sugar

Method
1. Make the dough with all ingredients according to the instructions of your breadmaker - my dough function allows me to add the fruit mid-cycle to stop the fruit becoming crushed. If you aren't using a machine make the dough by hand and then allow to rise for 1-2 hours and doubled in size.
2. Knead dough on a floured surfacer until the dough is elastic and springs back.
3. Divide the dough into 15 equal portions. Roll each portion into a ball/bun and place on baking tray a little way apart to allow room for rising and spreading.
4. Cover tray with plastic wrap and allow dough to rise for a further 30 minutes.
5. Bake in an over preheated to 200 degrees C for 20-25 minutes.
6. Make the glaze during the last 5 minutes of the baking time by mixing all ingredients in a jug in the microwave or standing in a pot of warm water until the ingredients are melted together.
7. Brush the buns as they come out the the oven when hot.
8. Allow to cool a little then eat spread with butter.


Delicious - I wish the pictures could convey smell - a cross between warm bread and apple pie!

No comments: